Use the Free (FAFSA®) form...
- Explore - There are a lot of outstanding Colleges and Universities. Some might meet students interests and needs better than others.
- It is a great idea to start early in exploring post-secondary schools by visiting their campuses and websites.
- Fill Out FAFSA - Colleges and universities can be pricey. Early on, many students will want to fill in the U.S. Department of Education's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)Opens in New Window form.
- It will be required later in the process when students are applying for financial aid, including grants, work-study, and loans.
- Fill Out the Application - Once you've selected the schools you are interested in, look for their application online or in person. It will typically ask you for some basic personal information about yourself and your high school life, including opportunities to share about learning, athletics and activities you've participated in.
- It will also provide information about additional materials that may be required and timelines.
- It is always a good idea to apply to multiple schools and to ensure that your materials are submitted in a timely fashion. You will want to start the process on the right foot.
- Write an Admissions Essay - In many cases, you will be asked to write an essay. Typically the school will provide more than one option to choose from.
- Have a few people proofread your essay, before submitting.
- Interview, if necessary
- For some post-secondary schools there will be a rigorous application process, which may include interviews.
- Check out Tips on Crafting your College Essay
- Acceptance Letter - Post-secondary schools will send you a letter letter letting you know if you have been accepted. It is okay to wait a little bit to see all of your options -- but once you've made your selection, you'll want to accept their offer of admission, prior to their deadline.
- After this, you should get materials about registration, housing and meal plans and much, much more. It is important to pay attention to this paperwork.
- Establish Financial Aid - Throughout this process, students who will require financial assistance should consider applying for scholarships and the financial aid offered by schools.
- There are a lot of opportunities, some of which we've offered on this page.
Online search engines are a useful...
Admission requirements can vary...
Possible College Search Engines...